Rhode Island United States Representative Patrick Kennedy has signed a deal with Houghton Mifflin Harcourt to write his memoir. Publication is set for next fall.
Throughout his lifetime, Kennedy has dealt with mental challenges including depression, alcohol abuse, and drug addiction. The book will deal with these topics. Kennedy hails from the illustrious Kennedy clan and the late Senator Edward “Ted” Kennedy‘s son.
Kennedy had this statement for the Associated Press “I realize that I have an enormous opportunity to turn my biggest liability–my illness, which includes addiction–into an asset to help countless numbers of Americans who quietly suffer and cannot afford treatment or risk telling their employers…That’s why I’m writing this book. I hope that by telling the real story of my own personal struggle, I can kick off my lifelong mission: to destigmatize addiction and other neurological ailments, and break down the barriers between research and treatment of different types of brain disorders.”
Senator Ted passed away in August 2009 at the age of 77. Three weeks following his death, Hachette’s Twelve imprint released his memoir, True Compass. The book sold 170,000 copies during its first five days of publication. (Via the Associated Press)