Saturday, August 27, 2011

Disclosure in Cheney Memoir

In his new memoir, In My Time, former Vice President Dick Cheney talks about a letter of resignation that he wrote only two months into office. Worried about his health, he wrote the letter in March 2001 and locked in a safe. According to The Huffington Post: “I did it because I was concerned that — for a couple of reasons … One was my own health situation. The possibility that I might have a heart attack or a stroke that would be incapacitating. And, there is no mechanism for getting rid of a vice-president who can’t function.’”

The power of memoir is insight to better understand our world and make better decisions. For me, this affirms that what we hear and what is really happening can have little to do with each other. After Cheney wrote this letter, he told the public he had no concerns for his health. It also speaks to the importance he played in the Bush White House, which implies less than conviction that Bush could handle the responsibility alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment